Directly translated, B'rit K'hilah means "covenant of the community" and refers to the shared agreement that a community makes with one another. With a focus on building a positive community, NFTY refers to our code of conduct as the B'rit K'hilah. All NFTYites agree to abide by the rules set forth by the B'rit K'hilah when they sign up to attend an event.
NFTY's B'rit K'hilah - Code of Conduct
NFTY is a movement that builds strong, welcoming, inspired communities through teen-powered engagement. This b'rit serves to ensure that we are able to focus on enacting our shared mission. We will promote the creation of a religious youth community based on mutual respect and a sense of personal responsibility. We will treat others with kavod (honor and respect) in order to facilitate the feeling of shalom bayit (peace in the home) and create a sense of NFTY's welcoming community.
Our NFTY community feels incomplete without all our members fully present,
- I will attend and participate fully in the entire event, unless otherwise agreed upon with the NFTY Regional staff member
- I will arrive on time, stay until the end, and remain on the event premises at all times. To maintain shalom bayit within our living space
- I will abide by the event curfew announced by the leadership. At the time of the announced curfew
- I will go directly to my cabin, hotel room, or host home and remain there until the next session
As a means of respect and for the well-being of the community and myself,
- I agree to exercise proper consent, and I agree to refrain from inappropriate sexual behavior.
- I understand that consent is only given when someone gives positive and verbal permission to a sexual activity with another person, and that all people in a sexual situation must feel comfortable saying an explicit "yes" or "no" of their own free will to stop the physical activity at any point.
In order to maintain our kehilah kedosha , it is essential that I uphold consent at NFTY events and in my daily life. Consent is a form of respect, and I will continue to show respect for my peers.
As NFTY is a safe and inclusive space for all participants,
- I will not participate in any activities before, during or after events that could be deemed as hazing, sexually harassing, demeaning, hurtful, or bullying.
- This includes in-person interactions during regional events, interactions over cell phone and email, and actions in online spaces including Facebook groups, twitter, Instagram, and other forms of social media between events.
If I hear of, or see any act of sexual misconduct, whether it be seen in person, over social media, or by ear, I will report it to my regional director or trusted adult.
I also agree not to photograph or make video recordings of anyone without their express permission, and not to take any photographs in inappropriate places, such as restrooms, host homes, and cabins. If I post or distribute any pictures/media, they will represent NFTY, the staff, and other participants in a positive and wholesome manner. Anything I post will represent the Jewish values the NFTY community teaches and upholds.
In order to ensure the well-being of myself and my peers, I understand that no guests are allowed at any event, unless the adult leadership grants permission in advance, and that any unauthorized guests will be asked to leave immediately.
Because overnight events can cause a lack of sleep and create dangerous driving conditions,
- I will not drive to, during, or from events, unless advance permission for a special situation is requested in writing by my parent/guardian and granted in writing by the NFTY Regional staff member. This includes driving to/from my home to meet NFTY’s designated transportation.
To promote a healthy and safe NFTY environment,
- I will not possess, consume, or distribute alcoholic beverages, other than that served by adult leadership for Jewish sacramental purposes, even if I am of legal drinking age.
- I will not smoke, consume, or distribute tobacco products, including e-cigarettes, at any time during the event. I will not possess, use, or distribute any illegal drug or drug paraphernalia, including marijuana regardless of the legality in the hosting state.
- I will not commit any illegal act. I understand that vandalism, disturbing the peace, or other inappropriate behavior as determined by the adult leadership in accordance with the youth leadership will not be tolerated. I understand that
- I will have to pay for any damage that I cause. I understand that no gambling is allowed, except for fundraisers approved by the adult leadership.
As NFTY is a community that I want to keep safe and free of violence, I will not bring or use any weapons, firearms, or anything that may be construed as a weapon.
As NFTY is a community of teens that respect and appreciate the adult leadership and each other, I agree to abide by any additional rules, pertinent to a specific Event, which may be announced, and to accept the consequences of their violation.
I understand that elements of this brit apply from the time I leave home for the event, during the event itself, and until I return home after the event. Some elements include behaviors and expectations between events.